WHEN TO USE CONCRETE SCANNERS
Typical applications for detection tools and systems
It’s easy to hit a hidden object when you’re working on a jobsite.
So, our Hilti detection systems are designed to find pipes, live wires or rebar and avoid hitting them when you drill, core, saw or cut.
Our range of cordless detection tools and systems are shock, dust and water-resistant, each having a specific application, for example:
- Finding metal and non-metal embedded objects in concrete, bricks, masonry and other base materials.
- Non-destructive structural inspection of rebar – estimate depth of concrete cover, location, size and dimension of rebar.
- Pipes – find metal and non-metal pipes, such as PVC.
- Live wires – locate electrical conduits.
- Other objects – find wood, structural steel reinforcement, post-tension cables (PT cables), pre-stressed tendons (PS tendons), concrete beams and more.
- Discover complex layouts of multiple embedded objects over large areas – this is particularly useful for large structures such as bridges or tunnels.
- Accurately detect the exact drill hole entry or exit point and easily determine the drill bit length required based on the measured slab/wall thickness.
This all helps to avoid hitting an embedded object and damaging drill bits.
TYPICAL APPLICATIONS OF DETECTION SYSTEMS
Structural analysis and inspections
Concrete drilling, coring, sawing and cutting
Building acceptance inspections
Using Hilti detection tools and software has many benefits:
- They are used in a non-destructive manner.
- They help to improve safety and avoid accidents onsite, such as cutting through a live wire or PT cable.
- They also help to avoid project delays and reduce the risk of costly structural damage, repairs or rework.
NON-DESTRUCTIVE STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS
Our Hilti PS 250 Ferroscan System is specifically designed for rebar inspection and non-destructive structural analysis, without the need to open an existing structure:
- Analyze the depth of concrete cover up to a depth of 10 cm.
- Scan large areas of concrete quickly and easily.
You can use our Hilti PS 250 Ferroscan to mark up your jobsite as you scan, with real-time 2D and 3D images displayed on the scanner’s screen.
If you need more detailed analysis of the scan results, you can use our Hilti PROFIS Detection and Ferroscan Map Software.
DETECTING HIDDEN OBJECTS BEFORE DRILLING, CUTTING OR CORING
It’s important to detect embedded pipes, rebar, cables and other hidden objects before you start to drill, core, cut or saw – to avoid hits, damage and potentially costly repairs:
- Rebar – if you drill into rebar, the structural integrity is endangered and you can damage your own tools' drill bits.
- Post-tensioned tendon (PT cable) – if you drill into PT cable you can destroy the structural stability and safety of the building. It’s also life threatening, because if a tendon is split into two, it can move out of the concrete structure very quickly and hurt people.
- Electrical conduit (live cable) – you can get an electric shock and severely hurt yourself or even be killed.
- Water pipe – if you drill into a water pipe or water-filled voids you can damage the building due to leakage.
- Wire mesh – if you drill into wire mesh, structural beams, anchors and other embedded objects you can also cause costly damage.
The best Hilti detection systems to deal with these situations are:
HILTI PS 50 MULTIDETECTOR
A useful multipurpose tool to find many different types of objects in various base materials up to a maximum depth of 15 cm. Our Hilti PS 50 Multidetector locates metal or plastic pipes, live wires, wood, metal rebar and more.More information
HILTI PS 250 FERROSCAN DETECTION SYSTEM
Designed for non-destructive testing to find rebar in concrete, estimate rebar size and the depth of concrete cover.More information
HILTI PS 1000 X-SCAN DETECTION SYSTEM
Designed to scan large areas and find metal and non-metal objects including live wires and PT cables, located in multiple layers of concrete up to a depth of 40 cm.More information
REQUEST A FREE ONSITE DEMONSTRATION
Contact your local Hilti team to request a free demonstration or find out more information. We’re happy to help onsite, online and on the phone.